Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Playing Keep Up...

So I have kinda been a slacker in keeping up with my blog this past week. But I've been busy, lol. Haven't we all. But in reality the part of my job that is Ag Teaching/FFA Advising is just about to get real crazy. Ag/FFA are year round, it's not like coaching a sport in a specific season or advising a club that might have one or two big events each year, there is always something for an FFA Advisor to do.

I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with one of the best Ag Teachers in NM...I'll even say he's likely one of the very best in our nation. But together we have a pretty full plate when it comes to our FFA activities (just got another blogpost idea!)

Last week we started our Spring Semester contests with Parli Pro. Our kiddos competed at District in Carlsbad and it was a pretty good night. The Jr High Kids (my team) was 2nd in the Opening Ceremonies contest. The Greenhands (9th graders) were 3rd in the Greenhand contest and the Chapter (10th & up) were 3rd in their contest. All of them qualified for a State Contest.

The Greenhands and Chapter kids competed on MLK Day in Portales and we had a really good day. There are some highly competitive Parli Pro teams in NM and we were able to get 3rd in Greenhand and 5th in Chapter. A good real good showing in our opinion.

The little guys won't compete until February at the NM Leadership Conference in Albuquerque. That's when the majority of the Jr High Contests take place. NMLC (MFE back in the day) also has workshops for members put on by the State Officers. It's a very positive FFA experience and our kids really enjoy it.

I'm going to try to keep up better this week! Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. So jealous that you get to keep doing all of these fun things! Sometimes I think I picked the wrong job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, being an Ag Teacher has its perks...being a big kid is one of them. I saw your brother the other day and almost didn't recognize him...he definitely has the Ag Teacher look. Lol. But I am sure your job has some really good parts to it. Idk what your work schedule is like around the time of State Convention, but I know that good judges are always in need.

    ReplyDelete