Monday, January 10, 2011

Playing Hooky

I am not really skipping school. I took a sick day so I can make the journey to Clovis to see my orthodontists. It's ridiculous that at 29, I miss school to get my braces worked on. I've had these dumb things in my mouth since a week after graduating from college with my Bachelor's degree. I am so over them. But I can thank myself for being less than diligent about wearing my rubberbands and then my teaching job has made it hard to go as often as they like to see you. However I am hoping that today we start the process to getting these things off. I knew going into it that braces would only be able to fix so much, and surgical intervention is not an option I'm willing to take, so at some point progress will stop. At nearly 5 years into this, I am done. Hopefully the Drs agree.

On a separate note, I HATE missing school. I mean the actual having a day off every now and again is nice. It is refreshing. However, the work that it takes to get ready to miss school is ridiculous. It's easier just to be there. Then there's the worry of what is going to happen while you are gone. I have been lucky to have some good subs and kids that can behave, but everyone has those days. Missing a day here and there isn't a big, big deal but I have missed up a week at a time for FFA stuff and those are the time that really take major prep. It takes lots of copies and elaborate planning to make sure there is enough work to do. Occassionally I don't have it all together and leave a film (films are educational, but movies are entertaining) but that can be a mistake.

I will enjoy my trip to Clovis. I will probably visit Dillards and I get to see my fabulous hair lady. But I am not excited about the drive. Oh well going anywhere in NM requires a drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment